Thursday 6 March 2008

Montezuma's Revenge




Well, it had to happen sooner or later. We've managed 7 weeks of our trip, 3 of which have been in Central America and, finally, one of us has fallen under the spell of Montezuma. Poor hubby has been suffering somewhat today, and shares in Andrex (or whatever it's called over here) have risen sharply. Typically, poor hubby had to fall ill on the day we decided to move on from Panajachel to Antigua. Luckily, the Immodium did its job on the 3 hour bus trip and we made it to our hotel.

I've had a bit of a wander round the town on my lonesome, and decided to splash out on a nice lunch in a fancy cafe - well, I was all alone so I needed a treat... Poor hubby stayed in bed in a darkened room with just a few sips of water to sustain him.

From what I've seen, Antigua is a very pretty colonial town (in the style of other colonial towns we've seen thus far - Oaxaca, San Cristobal de las Casas). There are plenty of snazzy-looking cafes, bars and restaurants so, as long as Montezuma allows it, there should be some fine dining and much coffee sipping to be done. I'm slightly concerned by the dearth of shops and must investigate more fully tomorrow, especially if I'm not under the eagle eye of hubby. Clearly, I'll have to treat myself to some nice "stuff" to make up for being all lonely and alone.

No comments: