Saturday 15 March 2008

OMG it is HOT here!






Many apologies to those of you who are suffering chilblains in good old Blighty. I know I shouldn't complain, but it is sooooooooooooo hot here in Nicaragua, somewhere in the 30s, quite possibly the high 30s.

So, after three nights in the lovely Granada, today we took two buses down to the coast. Public transport is such a bargain here - for nearly 4 hours of bus journeys, it cost us just over 1GBP each. Remeber in the good old days when buses in England had conductors as well as drivers? Well, it's like that here, plus they have another person whose job it is to get up on the roof to load/unload all the bags, boxes and kitchen sinks that are part of the luggage that everyone likes to carry. Nicaragua is apparently the second poorest country in the Western hemisphere behind Haiti, and yet each bus employs 3 people. And yet in the UK (definitely not the poorest country in any hemisphere) our buses have the all-in-one driver/conductor in order to cut costs, and give the drunks more opportunity to annoy the rest of the passengers. How does that work?

Anyway, enough economics for today. We are now down on the coast of Nicaragua in a small town called San Juan del Sur. We only got here about 4.30pm so we haven't had much chance to look round yet, what with having to take cold showers and worship the god of air-con for quite a while. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get to have a gad about and also spend some time on the beach to top up our tans. Sorry, I'll go now before you start getting annoyed with me!

1 comment:

PIE said...

I am not sure how I found it to your blog, (very nice by the way,) I was living vicariously through your travels and I found it ironic, that on this day, you are writing of being hot, on my blog, I am writing of being bombarded with yet another snow fall...we must be in bizzaro worlds. Enjoy your travels, and sorry to butt in to your blog!